Sunday, November 19, 2006

Dualy Display on T42 Ubuntu

Now I love my laptop's display, its just plain beautiful, but I have a nice Samsung 17" lcd also so I decided, why not use both? Here's what I did. First I asked my bestfriend if he knew anyone who's done this. (my best friend being google of course) and right away he said, Jkraemer know's all about that. So i just modified his xorg.conf a bit to get mine to work.





This will result in having two monitors side by side, laptop left and the external to the right

laptop resolution = 1400x1050

external monitor resolution = 1280x1024



ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ORIGINAL xorg.conf









1. Open your xorg.conf file ( sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) then replace with the contents of his.



2. Make following changes, or changes you would like.



I switched the keyboard to english, the drivers to ati and the display resolution of the second monitor to 1280x1024 by changing the following lines:

His:

Option "XkbLayout" "de"

Driver "radeon"

Modes "1024x768"



Mine:

Option "XkbLayout" "en"

Driver "ati"

Modes "1280x1024"





The first line change is in the first "Section InputDevice"

The second change is in both "Section Device"

The last is in the last "Section Screen"



Note: this is for my laptop which has the 1400x1050 resolution and an external monitor with 1280x1024 resolution, if you want something different, change it accordingly. Also note that this setup has the laptop screen set to be at the left of the external monitor, change "RightOf" to "LeftOf" in "Section ServerLayout"



3. Press save and close gedit



4. Press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X and hopefully you have a beautiful dual display like mine.



No comments: